Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Handy Answer Book for Kids (And Parents) by Gina Misiroglu



I have a son who loves books of facts...the more facts, the happier he is. While "The Handy Answer Book for Kids" is packed with facts, I don't know that I'd turn a child loose with the book.

It's sub-titled 'your smart reference', which it is. These aren't your garden variety facts. Many of the answers are detailed and rich. You won't get a simplistic answer to why the sky is blue! And for fun, you'll determine whether it really rains cats and dogs.

What bothered me were the responses concerning creation vs. evolution, some responses concerning sexuality and reproduction, and a few others. These deal with mature and controversial subject matter, and it would be excellent for a parent to be reading along.

The layout is appealing, and the binding is sturdy...two necessities for a children's book. But due to the topics covered, read it with your child...for fun or for a school report!

I'm giving this one three out of five bookmarks, simply because I disagree with some of the responses...either as incomplete, or just incorrect. But I'm including a magnifying glass as a charm.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: