Saturday, September 19, 2009

With This Ring by Joanna Weaver



Lately I've had weddings on my mind constantly. Our niece is getting married TODAY...and this will make the fourth wedding my husband has performed since July! Plus, he proposed to me again in front of our church in June...and we're renewing our vows next summer (Paypal donations gratefully accepted for a spectacular honeymoon LOL!).

So I pulled an old friend from my shelf to ponder the vows we take as we commit our lives to one another in marriage. "With This Ring" is the perfect gift for a bride-to-be, a new bride, or even an older one like me.

Joanna breaks down the traditional vows into sections, including quotes, traditions, and some anecdotes about marriage and what our vows should mean to us. I had fun re-reading portions of the book last night as I thought about the next wedding coming up.

Part One talks about the Betrothal Pledge, illustrating just how seriously we need to take being engaged to be married. The second section takes a closer look at the Ceremony. This tends to be the part with the most attention, but Joanna shows how it is merely a stepping stone in this journey called marriage.

Next come the Vows, then the Tokens (the rings--I love the wedding photographs of the rings, don't you?), and finally the declarations. That special moment of being presented for the first time as husband and wife.

You simply cannot take marriage lightly after reading Joanna's book. I've been married for 24 years, and it's made me re-think some things I've been far too casual about. I encourage you to make this a regular gift at showers, weddings and renewals.

I'm re-giving "With This Ring" five out of five bookmarks, with a wedding bouquet as a charm. I'm thinking a bright spring flower bouquet. I'm not giving away a copy, but I'd love for you to share your wedding memories with me.

We've got one more couple on the verge of engagement...but they've pretty much promised to give us until NEXT year for their wedding! Much more cake and my wedding dress will go up a few sizes:-)

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

No comments: