Friday, August 7, 2009

Saving Sailor by Renee Riva



I keep having to explain to people why, with my overloaded bookshelves, I simply cannot say no to a book offer. Simply put, I'm always concerned I'll miss a new, sparkling gem to discover--just like this novel by Renee Riva.

It took the release of her second novel(which will be reviewed on My Bookshelf soon) to get me to surrender to the beckoning call of her debut, "Saving Sailor". Let me share this one thing with you...the entire price of the book is worth the truth found on page 200...

...but don't miss out on the fun of pages 1-199!

A.J. Degulio is turning ten, and the year is 1968. Her Italian blooded family has taken up their usual place on the island where they spend their summers, and A.J. is having the time of her young life.

From driving her Italian mother crazy with her fake Southern accent, being afraid of confession, and rescuing her beloved shaggy companion from doggy death, A.J. has a knack for wit and charm and...well, being blunt and to the point.

When the Morgans come to the island, things rapidly change. A.J.'s friendship with Danny teaches her a lot about life and how not everyone lives as you live, the power of hope and prayer, and being compassionate with those who've failed.

Her antics with her letter writing, sister bugging and hamster hiding are sure to remind you of what it was like to be ten, full of life and hope, and just a little nutty.

Oh, for the innocence to come back to our kids! Don't miss out on "Saving Sailor"...it's a great summer reading experience, and you might see a bit of yourself in A.J.---or in Renee!

I'm giving this one four out of five bookmarks, with a paddle as a charm. Keep both oars in the water when you're paddling with A.J.!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

2 comments:

C.J. Darlington said...

I LOVED Saving Sailor, as well as its sequel Taking Tuscany. Thanks for featuring it here, Deena. I hope we can spread the word about Renee's terrific writing. It's great stuff.

Carole said...

I'm glad you featured this book, Deena, because Saving Sailor is one of the best books I've ever read. I laughed and cried all the way through it. A.J. is a great character.

I'm holding off on Taking Tuscany until the third book is released, because I can't wait to read about A.J. and Danny when she returns.