Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Diary of a Teenage Girl by Melody Carlson



I'm a little late to this party. My daughter read these books when she was in high school, but at the time I wasn't reading teen lit much. But now that Maya's story is being told, I'm going back in time to read the series from the very beginning.

And I'm SO glad I chose to do that! The very first book in the series is "Diary of a Teenage Girl", and it starts us off with the story of Caitlin. "Becoming Me" is the beginning of Caitlin's sixteenth year.

A time of figuring out who you are and where you want your life to go. A time of friends and cliches and prom and questions. Oh, the questions! Developing your own relationship with God is simply, and yet can be tricky.

We can't piggy-back on the faith of our parents, and I'm afraid too many of our teens do that. Mom and Dad are Christians, so I must be one as well. And yet they need their own life-changing encounter with the Savior.

Written in diary form, my only quibble was the font of the book...it was a bit hard on these old eyes of mine. But it did make it seem more like Caitlin's personal diary.

I adored Beanie, Caitlin's best friend. Nothing like a friend who is so comfortable in her own skin she allows you to find a way to be comfortable in yours as well. I'm devouring these books one by one.

So, I'm giving "Diary of a Teenage Girl: Becoming Me" four out of five bookmarks with a gel pen as a charm...I know--I just dated myself...but hey, I'm old:-) Deal with it!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Share/Save/Bookmark

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Kim said...

So you're old, huh? Well, I feel like I'm 104 today! But, I guess I'm old too....hmmmmm....need more sleep!

Kim