Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nine Ways God Always Speaks* (*offer only availabe in some states) by Mark Herringshaw and Jennifer Schuchmann



I'm always on the lookout for books that are unique, and I believe I've found one! Mark and Jennifer tackle the controversial topic of how and if God still speaks to believers, and they do a masterful and fun job with the discussion.

"Nine Ways God Always Speaks" has a tongue in cheek sub-title, but the subject matter is serious business. Raised a conservative Baptist, I was afraid of the work of the Holy Spirit in my life for a very long time.

At my age today, I'm wide open to pretty much anything God wants to do through me and with me, and I'm praying constantly to be more open to His using. Reading Mark and Jennifer's book helped me to realize some areas I'm still closed off to Him.

Does God visit us in our dreams? Does he speak audibly to us? What do people mean when they say "God told me something"?

These are some of the questions Mark and Jennifer tackle in their book. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with everything they say. This is more of a thought-provoking reading experience.

It's provoked a lot of thoughts for me!

I must say again...we CANNOT and MUST NOT get our theology from anything but the Bible. Just because we read it in a book does not make it truth. It concerns me when people quote their favorite book or author as the final authority...

...only God and HIS BOOK are the final authority. Everything else just helps us to grasp what God has said in ways that should compliment, not contradict, His Word.

Mark and Jennifer go out of their way to let the reader know this is an exploration of how God speaks to us today through true anecdotal stories that they share and through some excellent quotes from some beloved authors.

I found this book fascinating reading, and I'm giving it four out of five bookmarks with a pillow as a charm. There were a few things I wasn't thrilled with (mainly some imaginative dialog with Biblical characters...but nothing to ding the book for).

Take a chance and read "Nine Ways God Always Speaks". You may not agree with it all, but it may open you up for God to use you in new ways that will revitalize your relationship with Him and with others.

Just don't take this as your standard of doctrine...PLEASE...bounce everything you read off of Scripture! And be sure you're reading the Scriptures!!

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

Sell Used Books - Have Your Books Shipped To Us For Free And Get Fast Cash Back!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for doing this review last year!

Just in case you (or your blog readers) were interested, I wanted to let you know that the book is available on the Kindle for free starting today for a limited time. Even if you don’t have a Kindle you can download the software and book to read on your computer or many smart phones. The details are here: http://tinyurl.com/25qt67d.

Again, thanks for doing the give-away last year!

- Jennifer