Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ruby's Slippers by Leanna Ellis



Leanna Ellis is rapidly becoming another of my "must read" authors! I first discovered here in "Elvis Takes A Back Seat", a fun read with some quirky characters. Then I picked up a copy of "Lookin' Back, Texas"--and I was hooked!

Now, in "Ruby's Slippers", Leanna not only has captured my smile, she has taken my heart captive as well. Dorothy, or Dottie as she's known to friends and family, has chosen a life of security. She's kept the farm in the family as Momma would have wanted, and retired young to work in the dirt as she's always loved doing.

Younger sister Abby craved fame and the spotlight, and she made her way to Hollywood. When she returns suddenly to the family farm, Dottie's suspicions are up. Both sisters must agree to sell, and Dottie isn't leaving Kansas...

...until the tornado hits.

No, don't worry. No flying monkeys, wicked witches or yellow brick road in this one.

At least, not like you'd suspect! But along the way, Dottie does find what her heart has longed for all along: family, a Father, and a life filled with meaning and joy. And she also learns, while there's no place like home, home is where you make it.

Delightful characters join Dottie on her journey of discovery: Tim, her uncle; Sophia, her friend from the convalescent home; Leo, Sophia's son; and Otto, Dottie's trusty canine companion.

Lots of nods to the classic motion picture "The Wizard of Oz" in this unique telling of the story, including the ruby slippers. Or, in this case, Ruby's Slippers--Dottie's momma. But I'll leave you to discover all about those.

This story is fun, light-hearted at moments and drawing tears at others. In all, I think this is Leanna Ellis at her best--until her NEXT book comes out! I'm giving "Ruby's Slippers" five out of five bookmarks, with a bag of popcorn as a charm.

And yes, it's popped, so grab a handful and pick up this great book. Just don't get butter on the pages!

To whet your appetite, enjoy the YouTube trailer from B&H Fiction:



Happy Reading!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh! I've got this one! I need to pull it out!! Thanks for the reminder!

Sheltiemama said...

I just discovered your blog today and would love to read this book.