Friday, January 9, 2009

Author of the Month--Susan May Warren's Passion...

I asked Susan to write something for us about a passion she has. I already knew a little about it because I devoured "Wiser Than Serpents": I was hoping this was what she'd share...

The truth is, beyond raising my family, my only dream is to make an impact in this world, for Christ. I hope my stories awaken a fresh desire to know the God who loves you, who extends grace and hope into our lives.



I'll never forget the day my friend Olga and I had tea, and she told me her 19 year old daughter was headed to Japan to "waitress." She'd gotten a job with a travel agency, and was thrilled to be working in international sales, as Olga put it. I couldn't deny the fear that stole through me. Waitress? International Sales? I had friends who worked with a government NGO raising awareness of the human trafficking epidemic growing in Russia and I couldn't shake the feeling that Olga's daughter was being sucked into the vortex of this dark world - and I told her as much. Olga dismissed it, and her daughter did go to Japan. Last time I checked in with Olga, before we left to go stateside, she hadn't yet returned. I don't know if Olga even knew where she was. The memory still leaves me shaken and prompts me to pray for Olga and her daughter.



It was this memory, and the fact that there are 27 million people around the globe held as slaves today - more thank 80% of them women and children, and up to 50% minors - that compelled me to write a story with this element in it. Wiser than Serpents is a continuation of the Mission:Russia series, a thriller about Yanna, whose sister is snatched through a Russian dating service, and disappears. Yanna enlists the help of Delta Force Captain, David Curtiss to find and rescue her. Readers who've read, "In Sheep's Clothing" and "Sands of Time" will recognize Yanna as the tech expert, and David as the solid Christian of the group.



Honestly, the research for this book made me physically ill, and I had friends praying for me, against the darkness and evil inherent in this subject. Thankfully, the book is written from the point of views of the rescuers, not the victims, and offers hope and empowerment, instead of feelings of helplessness. It raises awareness without lowering the standards of Christian fiction.



However, the world is real, and the need to get involved is great. I so greatly admire people who take their beliefs and put action to them -hence a portion of the proceeds of Wiser than Serpents is going to help the International Justice Mission, (www.ijm.org), an organization dedicated to rescuing victims and fighting the scourge of slavery.


You can get involved with Susan and help to end slavery by purchasing a copy or two (or three) of "Wiser Than Serpents"...help spread the word with Susan's fiction.

What is YOUR passion? Share with me and with Susan so we can pray for those you long to bring Jesus to.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kim said...

Great post Deena and Susan! I am hearing more and more about human trafficking. You would think that the 21st century would be so vast with possibility that slavery would have no place in our world.

Yet in exists in the very brutal form of addiction. My husband and I volunteer at a residential rehab facility for women, and the brokenness left behind in the wake of addiction is unbelievable. They are slaves in the truest sense.

I'd like to ask you both to pray for me and my husband as we share our lives and our time with this group of women. It's the hardest job I've ever loved.

Again, great post ladies!

Audra Jennings said...

I'm giving you a Butterfly Award because you are super awesome about posting my stuff. You can claim it here:

http://audrasinsanity.blogspot.com/2009/01/butterfly-award.html