Monday, December 1, 2008

25 Reviews of Christmas--Finding Father Christmas by Robin Jones Gunn (repost)

Photobucket


Welcome to 25 Reviews of Christmas at My Bookshelf--our 1st selection is an old favorite from last year..."Finding Father Christmas" by Robin Jones Gunn (bet you can't guess what TOMORROW'S book will be:-)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


With a heavy nod to the Christmas classic by Charles Dickens, Robin Jones Gunn has written what is destined to become its own Christmas classic.

"Finding Father Christmas" is the story of Miranda Carson and her search for the father she has never known. Her journey takes her to England, just in time for the Christmas holiday.

Alone, fearful, and feeling quite lost, she stumbles her way to a tiny shop called Tea Cozy. Immediately Miranda is welcomed into the fold by a booming voice calling, "Come in, come in, and know me better, friend!" (my favorite line from "A Christmas Carol"--especially the Muppets version:-)

Katherine and Andrew, co-owners of the Tea Cozy, are taking part in a Christmas Eve production of "A Christmas Carol"...at least, a modified version of the play. Invited to attend, Miranda does so with a reluctant heart. But in the process of the rest of this story, she not only finds her heart, but finds her answers in the most unlikely of places.

Filled with delightful characters and a brief tribute to C.S. Lewis' Narnia classic, Robin has written a holiday hit. I fell in love with Miranda and related to her need for that father her heart longs for. The writing is so powerful that you feel what Miranda is feeling...the emotion leaps off the page and into your own heart.

My only complaint is my usual one...IT ISN'T FINISHED! At least, not to my liking! Good news: a sequel is planned. Bad news: I have NO idea when. But, don't let that stop you from reading this heart-warming novella that captures the essence of family, hospitality, and the reason for this Christmas season so beautifully.

I give "Finding Father Christmas" five out of five bookmarks, with a tiny blue velvet purse as a charm...read it, and you'll find out why.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Oh I love this book! I got it together with the sequel, and loved both!

Here's my review of Finding Father Christmas and Engaging Father Christmas.

:) Wendi

Lindsey said...

This sounds so good! I'm going to have to read it now. :-) Thanks for the review and looking forward to more!