Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Billy by William Paul McKay and Ken Abraham

Photobucket


I haven't read a biography this enjoyable in a very long time. Mr. McKay and Mr. Abraham have done a masterful job introducing me to a man I felt I knew before, but truly know now in a much deeper way.

"Billy" is the novelization of the motion picture that WON'T be coming to a theater near me (which makes me immensely sad). But this is far more than just the story of the beloved evangelist, Dr. Billy Graham.

We also get the privilege of meeting Billy's dearest friend outside of his wife, Ruth: Charles Templeton.

The authors begin at the beginning--describing Billy's early years, his family life, and his skepticism concerning church and God: all juxtaposed with Charles' life. With lively writing, this story comes to life as we watch these two young contemporaries grow, find faith, and then take two divergent paths.

Billy as a young man puts Dr. Graham in proper perspective: a servant called of God and led to do amazing things, but a mere man. A truly humble man of high integrity. And Charles went the other way, but praise God, he chose right in the end of his life.

Along the way, we also get to meet George Beverly Shea, T.W. Wilson, Cliff Barrows, and last but certainly not least, Billy's beloved wife, Ruth Bell Graham--now with our Lord.

I cannot urge you enough to pick up this book. Don't wait for the movie--it may not even come to your area. The book is magnificent. I feel as if I know the Grahams, and I rejoice to call them brother and sister. Read it and see if you don't feel closer to the man many call Billy.

I give "Billy" the golden bookmark for publishing excellence, with a golden tassel. I'm also voting it "Best Biography of the Decade". Thanks, Mr. McKay and Mr. Abraham, for staying true to the story of one of America's most beloved evangelists, Billy Graham.

Happy Reading!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Connie Arnold said...

Thank you for sharing about this book, Deena. I think it is one I definitely want to read!