Monday, March 31, 2008

My Exclusive Interview with Author and Composer, Andrew Peterson!

Andrew Peterson is a new beloved author of the Wingfeather Series, and has been on tour with the first book, "On The Edge Of The Dark Sea of Darkness".

Photobucket


He graciously popped into my email inbox and granted me an interview. I adored this book, and eagerly await the next installment in the adventures of the Igiby children.
Until then, enjoy my time spent chatting with this amazingly talented and sweet author:

1) First and foremost, how many books can we anticipate in this series?


Right now the plan is for five books. The second should be released around this time next year.


2) "On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness" really lends itself to reading out loud. Did you write it with that in mind, or did it just happen?


I'm glad you think so. Yes, I wrote it with that in mind, and the last time I edited the book before sending it to the publisher I holed up in my office and read the whole thing aloud. It's a good practice, I think. You notice awkward sentences and dialogue more than when you're zipping through it in your head. Part of the impetus to start writing was my love of reading to my children before they go to bed, which started with the Narnia books a few years back. Seeing their faces light up last month when we finished WATERSHIP DOWN fired me up all over again. There's nothing like seeing the look on a child's face when a good story sinks in.


3) A lot of the writing is intentional repetition, such as we read in the introduction and in the prologue. Why did you write it in that style?


I'm not sure, except to say that I thought it was kind of funny. I don't know about you, but I imagined an old British gentleman's voice narrating the story, and I think the Monty Python-esque silliness grew out of that.


4) Many of my readers are familiar with your music, and I must say I am as well. What stirred up the desire to write a novel?


Well, the desire's been there since I was a kid. I've always loved to ignite someone's imagination with a good story, and songwriting scratches that same itch. Given my word-nerdiness, an attempt at writing a book was inevitable.


5) If you could choose to be like one of the Igiby children, which one would you be and why?


I think I'm similar in ways to all of them, whether I like it or not. Since this whole tale sprang from my noggin, I guess there's a bit of me in all the characters. I can be reckless and stubborn like Tink, dissatisfied with responsibility like Janner, and (once in a great while) gentle and caring like Leeli. The bad thing is, I also can be vengeful like Slarb and arrogant like Gnorm. I can also be riddled with shame and guilt like Peet the Sock Man. But I guess I'm not answering your question. I'm beating around the bush, aren't I? Who would I most want to be like? Nugget. Courageous, loyal, and furry. (I know he's not one of the children, but he's close enough.)



6) Some of the names my son had a difficult time with, and we argued over pronunciation at times (silly, I know, but we read out loud to one another, and we are both SO very picky). Any chance we can get a glossary soon?


YES. I'm hoping to put together a website that will include pictures, pronunciation guides, and other surprises. It'll be a while, but it's on the grocery list.


7) Do you think you'll ever write a soundtrack to this amazing book?


I don't think I will. But my album The Far Country is pretty close. (Deena's note: If you don't already have this CD in your collection...you NEED to:-)

8) Finally, what future projects can we look forward to?


Well, I'm happy to say that my next record, Resurrection Letters, Vol. II, is releasing this fall, and the next Wingfeather book will release a few months after that. (If all goes well with the writing.)

So, there you have it! Thank you, Andrew, for your time and for creating such a fun series to enjoy. My son and I BOTH read this one, and found it exciting and enjoyable!

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Kim said...

Deena -
I'm soooo glad you got to interview Andrew!! My kids will be thrilled! They will especially be thrilled to know 5 books are planned!!

Kim