Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life, Libby and the Pursuit of Happiness by Hope Lyda

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


As a 40-something mom of three teens, I'm not really the target audience for chick-lit any longer. Not to brag, but I've found my one true love, married him, and lived with him for 22 years...and any career I would have had is looooonnnnnggg in my rearview mirror.

Having said all of that, I just didn't get Libby. I mean, the writing is good, the plot is fairly easy to follow, and the ending...well, I think I got lost somewhere between the middle and the end.

Libby is a model employee and a loving daughter and sister. She is always looking out for others and doing her very best. But it doesn't seem to be getting her anywhere, and her life is dissatisfying. When she gets demoted instead of promoted at her job...she decides to become more deliberate about her life.

And along comes temptation in the form of the elusive promotion, if only she can keep a corporate secret from...well, from the corporation she works for. Things begin getting muddled for me about at this point. And it was all downhill from there.

I hate to discourage anyone from reading this book. Again, I am a middle aged woman who's been there, bought the t-shirt, and now run the ride:-) So keep that in mind when I tell you...I was spoiled for chick-lit by such greats as Rachel Hauck, Camy Tang and Erynn Mangum.

Hope Lyda I'm sure has an audience. I just don't want to buy a ticket for the production. So I'm giving "Life, Libby and the Pursuit of Happiness" 2 out of 5 bookmarks with a briefcase charm just for the effort of living Libby's life.

If you are a HUGE chick-lit fan...then take a chance on Libby. It might be worth your while. It just wasn't worth mine.

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to see i'm not the only non-libby fan!! :)