Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Pawn by Steven James

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Has this ever happened to you? You read a book, and you find yourself jealous of people who haven't read the book yet, because they get to experience what you've just experienced, and it was COOL??

That's how I feel about "The Pawn" by Steven James. I just finished reading an advanced reader's copy (it's due to hit shelves in September), and I'm so jealous of you all who have yet to read this novel!

Special Agent Patrick Bowers is a very conflicted man. He's just lost his wife to cancer, his teenaged step-daughter is impossible to reach, and now he's embroiled in a manhunt for the most elusive serial murderer of his law enforcement career.

The Illusionist is targeting young women in a vicious and methodical way...a way that Patrick just can't seem to put his finger on. Right about the time he thinks he has a handle on it, a new twist is thrown into the game.

Because to The Illusionist, this is a game...a game of life and death, and one he's determined to win.

Gritty, edgy, grip-the-pages-til-your-knuckles turn white suspenseful...Steven James is easily in my top ten authors you just gotta read! I've read a lot of Christian thrillers, and I must say Mr. James took me on a ride I was eager to go on and yet nearly couldn't handle (and that is a VERY. GOOD. THING).

This is by far the most thrilling novel I've read this year. I was so excited to discover "The Pawn", and I was not disappointed in the least. Both the professional and personal aspect of the telling of this tale are well handled and evenly balanced. Each character is pivotal to the storyline, and very well developed.

Special Agent Patrick Bowers is likeable, and yet sometimes you just want to thunk him in his melon head--especially when it comes to his step-daughter, Tessa. That relationship was so severely strained that it pained me to read about it...and I won't tell you how it ends up! I'm just mean like that!

If you love the gritty, CSI kind of thriller as I do, don't miss "The Pawn". I'm giving Mr. James' debut thriller six out of five bookmarks, with a chess pawn as a charm...and even that sends a chill down my spine.

I'm also voting him "Best Crime Thriller of 2007", a tie with "Deception" by Randy Alcorn. Yes, it's THAT GOOD!

Here's a little something I hunted down for your enjoyment...and watch for "The Pawn" this September!



Happy Reading!

Deena

2 comments:

ohAmanda said...

I love Steven James. He writes the best children's ministry skits and stories. I use them all the time. Plus, he has a blog! Have you seen it?

Anonymous said...

I loved your review. I felt the same way when I read it. This is going to be a great series. Check out my review of the book and my interview with Steven James on my Bookshelf Review blog.