Monday, July 23, 2007

Welcome To Harry Potter and The Favorite Moments Meme!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Greetings, Potter Fans!

In honor of the amazing journey we've shared through these seven volumes of Harry Potter, I thought we could all gather together and share some special moments. I'll ask a question each day, and you can either answer in the comments, or leave a link to your blog answer.

Today's question is a two parter, and it's easy: How did you discover Harry Potter, and where were you when Book 7 was released??

For me, I saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at Wal-mart in Yuba City, California not long after the US release. The cover was a bit odd, and I asked my husband, "Do you know anything about that book?" He replied, "Not really, but I think it's popular." And we went our way.

When Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was released, I again saw it at Wal-mart and was curious, but still hadn't caught the buzz. A few months later, the Christian tidal wave of concern and criticism caught my ear, and soon I had jumped on that bandwagon, not having a clue what I was saying or thinking.

It wasn't until Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was released that my curiosity got the better of me...I mean, that book was HUGE! A reader's dream! So I checked out the first from our school library and the rest is history...

My husband wanted to make this last Harry Potter book special, so he took me to our local B.Dalton Booksellers at midnight on Friday night and we waited for almost an hour to purchase the final volume. I read the first chapter, went to bed, and spent all of Saturday lost in Harry...

Now, it's YOUR turn!

Happy Reading!

Deena

7 comments:

Deborah said...

I first heard of harry potter b/c of the first movie. yes that's right, i didn't know harry potter existed until 2001. so i watched the movie and enjoyed it (i was totally shocked that it was Quirrell and not Snape) so I went back and checked out all the books that had been published by then. Read all 4 and really really really liked it. So when OOTP came out I was ready.

When 7 came out, I was at home asleep. I had already preordered my copy from Amazon to come the next day. I had to work at the library and I had reserved a copy there too. I came home for lunch, read the first chapter, nearly died that I had to stop, went back to work, came home, my copy had arrived, and read from 5-10pm and finished the book in 5 hours. Whew.

ohAmanda said...

I heard about Harry from my aunt. She told me a new book was out about a boy going to school to be a wizard. She said some Christians thought it was bad. So, she read it and didn't see anything wrong with it. Honestly, I didn't trust her b/c she's a little more open about "secular" stuff than I am. So, I picked up next time I was at the library. AND I LOVED IT. I got the 2nd one at the library. Then bought 3-7.

I went to the release part at my local Borders. I got there about 10 till midnight and stood in line about 1 hour. Which isn't bad considering I was #641 on the reserved list! I read until 3am. Then read all day Saturday. I think I read it in about 7 hours.

ohAmanda said...

fyi: just blogged my spoiler-heavey review!

http://ohamanda.wordpress.com/2007/07/23/books-muggles-spoilers-oh-my/

ohAmanda said...

Deena: One more for you--this one's good!

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/julyweb-only/130-12.0.html

Anonymous said...

I am definitely playing along with your Harry Potter meme questions! I'll have an answer to each question every day, but here's the first:

http://apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com/2007/07/harry-potter-meme.html

Thanks Deena...you're awesome for thinking of this!

BardLover said...

I think I started reading Harry when PoA had just come out in hardback. Loved SS, didn't like CoS and waited a whole year for PoA to come out in paperback. LOVED that one, and bought all 3 in hardback so I wouldn't have to wait for the paperback versions any more! LOL

When DH came out, my dd and I were halfway across the Atlantic (don't ask *what* I was thinking when I booked those airline tickets for 7/20!).

soleil said...

http://jehara.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-fun-hp-meme.html

my link to this question. what a great idea!