Thursday, July 5, 2007

These Boots Weren't Made For Walking by Melody Carlson

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I loved this book! Cassidy Cantrell's life is the perfect metaphor for the transformation we undergo as believers. From couture to comfort, from sensational to sensible...and satisfied for both the reader and the character. Take a front row seat as we watch Cassie undergo a total transformation.

It all starts with those boots...butter smooth, supple leather, oh-so-expensive Valentino boots. But from the first time she puts them on, life goes wrong. More than just her ankle turns, and not for the better. Left empty and alone, Cassie decides to return home to figure out her life and what she wants.

Only it's not the home she remembers...everything is topsy-turvy there as well. Her mom, Audra, has undergone her own transformation. And while Mom is busy figuring out her own life, Cassie is realizing that finding herself isn't as easy as she'd thought it would be.

I won't go into any more detail...I hate having to watch for spoilers in reviews! But let me just say that Melody Carlson has created a loveable every woman for this generation coming up behind us 40 and 50 somethings. No matter how goofy or ridiculous Cassie's choices are, you can't help but be on her side.

Social drinking is a hot button topic in some Christian circles, and there is quite a bit in this novel. Let me just put my two cents in: don't get your theology/doctrine from fiction!!

My only disappointment is that we won't have a series with this one...I would have loved a story for Cammie and Callie...but I have a feeling we've met the Cantrells for a one and only novel. Which is too bad, if you ask me:-)

"These Boots Weren't Made For Walking" gets five out of five bookmarks from me, with a tiny crutch for a charm...and you'll just have to read it to find out why!!

Happy Reading!

Deena

2 comments:

Denise said...

I will have to check this one out.

Susanne said...

I really like Melody Carlson and will be checking it out!