Saturday, July 7, 2007

Return To Me by Robin Lee Hatcher

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I love it when authors take Biblical stories and make them modern day illustrations of God's truth.

I love it even more when it is done well.

Robin Lee Hatcher has taken the story of the prodigal son, created a modern day re-telling of this Biblical truth, and done it masterfully. This story was pure pleasure to read!

Roxy Burke dreamed of Nashville, and she didn't care who she hurt getting there. Armed with her mother's guitar and her grandmother's inheritance to her, she runs from all she has known, chasing her illusive dream.

Flash forward seven years later, and she returns home: broken, lost, and empty. Her father, Jonathan Burke, welcomes her home with open arms. Unfortunately, her sister Elena doesn't seem to have his compassion for the wayward one.

Even more complications arise as Roxy tries to return to the ones who love her. And tries to find the love of the One who has always loved her with an everlasting love.

Robin has taken Scripture and put flesh and blood into it, bringing the tale to life and painting a gorgeous picture of grace, forgiveness, and what it means to return to God.

I felt for Elena, having stayed home and been the "good" daughter. I felt for Roxy, having to return home after failing so miserably and squandering everything she had. I felt for their dad, loving both daughters and unable to bring the two of them together.

We have a prodigal in our family. Now I feel better equipped to pray, and to minister to the ones who haven't strayed, while waiting for the wayward one to return to God.

"Return To Me" gets the full five out of five bookmarks from me, with a gorgeous fall leaf as a charm. I encourage you all to pick up a copy of this novel, and it would make a wonderful, encouraging gift for someone waiting, and for someone returning.

Happy Reading!

Deena

3 comments:

Nise' said...

I am freaking out because I am down to one book in my possession on my TBR list. Every other one is on hold at the Library. I may have to actually buy a book 'cause I cannot. be. without. a book! This one looks good!!!

Denise said...

This sounds really good.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wonderful review Deena! This one sounds really good, I'll have to add it to my wish list. It's growing by leaps and bounds these days :)