Thursday, June 28, 2007

Holy Discontent by Bill Hybels

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


When I was asked to review "Holy Discontent" by Bill Hybels, I was excited. Just the title and the cover intrigued me, and for such a small book, I was sure it packed a great punch--they always do.

I wasn't disappointed...but I did feel a "nudge" in my spirit as I read.

The basic premise of the book is to find that one thing in life that you can't stand to see happen any longer...that "Popeye" moment of life (remember him, the sailor with the thing for spinach??). The one thing that makes you cry out "I can't stand it anymore!"

Bill Hybels uses many real life examples such as Dr. Bob Pierce, founder of World Vision and Billy Graham...well, you know who HE is! Each person he profiles had one thing in life that drove them, that motivated them to do something.

Basically, this is "making a difference" motivation, but on a deeper level than we usually get. The spirit check I felt was making sure we're keeping it in God's perspective. Whatever we do, we are to do all to God's glory. And it must be in keeping with God's will.

It's not enough just to want to right social injustices.

Some social injustices are just sin masked in politically correct terms. Homosexuals feel they are victims of social injustice...when they are held captive in sin. Abortionists feel very passionate about a woman's right to choose, to the neglect of God's Word on the matter.

So it isn't enough to find a social cause and get involved. Bill Hybels does talk about seeing things the way God sees them, and becoming His partner in righting wrongs and in bringing healing to people, hope and the message of salvation.

I only wish he had put more emphasis on staying in God's Word and in God's will...but he does talk of Biblical examples such as Peter, Moses, and Nehemiah. (I love Nehemiah, and his passion for seeing Jerusalem rebuilt!) While not chocked full of Scripture, what is quoted is applicable.

I also feel very strongly that if all we are doing is rescuing people in THIS life, and not leading them to security in the NEXT life, we do them a disservice. Why save babies from starvation in Ethiopia, only to leave them doomed to hell because we didn't bring them the Bread of Life as well??

I wish that had been emphasized more as well. But, all in all, it is good for the church today. Christians today tend to be more about "What's in it for me?" rather than "How can I serve and where?" This is a very timely message as we wind down to our last years on earth. We need to be about the Master's business...we just need to make sure that it is His business.

So, read this book. And remember one thing more...

We can't do it all. I am one person; I can do one person's work...and I must find what it is that God has designed for me to do, and get to doing it! One line from his book that struck a chord in me was this:

"Your one thing births a burning-bush experience in your soul where you sense God himself inviting you into an intentional and personalized partnership with him to renovate reality."


All in all, this is a worthwhile investment for any believer looking for more to this life than a paycheck and to find a purpose. "Holy Discontent" gets 4 out of 5 bookmarks from me, and I plan on reading and highlighting a lot...

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Denise said...

Another great review sweety.