Monday, May 28, 2007

Is That All He Ever Thinks About by Marla Taviano

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I review a lot of Christian fiction, but I also enjoy reading non-fiction titles as well. When I browse at the bookstore, I browse all the shelves. This one came to me via the mail, and I was intrigued.

"Is That All He Thinks About" by Marla Taviano is a refreshing look at sex as God intended it. Marla's humor and candor is unique, and it adds to the book in huge ways. In my humble opinion, this is the best book on the topic of marital sex outside of the classic "The Act of Marriage".

She does not shy away from the Biblical teaching that in marriage "our bodies are not our own", and encourages women to seek to please their husbands. I loved it when she advised that some of us pray, "Lord, when he grabs me in the kitchen, help me to not shoo him away."

While Marla doesn't go into a lot of biological detail and explanation for why things work the way they do, she does give many personal examples and examples from the many surveys she did. Names are changed to protect privacy, but the personal discussion adds credibility to what she writes.

She also does not shy away from controversial topics concerning marital sex, and keeps to a Biblical perspective on these as well...and a little common sense thrown in for good measure.

While she doesn't mince words, this book is tasteful written, avoiding any vulgarity or sensational verbage. But I could imagine having some of these discussions with my close girlfriends over coffee and cake. The tone is friendly, and the discussions are valid.

One thing about the book that I found most intriguing...in fact, it opened my eyes to just how much the media has impacted my view of sex in marriage...is a fictional dialogue on page 38 titled "sex from hell"...what satan might have to say about it.

In fact, that might be the best place to begin your reading...I was shocked at how it impacted me

"Is That All He Thinks About" gets 4 out of 5 bookmarks from me. And, just in case you were wondering, yes, there is a chapter addressing the woman being more into it! I loved that one (oh, did I say that out loud:-)

Happy Reading!

Deena

1 comment:

Denise said...

Think I might need to read this one, lol