Saturday, November 17, 2007

Confessions of a Readin' Fool!

I'm getting comments again on how much I read, so I thought it would be a great time to pull this out of the archives, dust it off a bit, and repost it. This will let you know a little bit more about me...maybe more than you wanted to know:-)

I've been reading your comments on my book list, and I've decided you need to know a little something about me to understand why in the world I've reviewed so many books.

See, I was born with a book in my hand--well, not really. That would have hurt my mom! But, before I could even recite the alphabet, my mom had signed me up for all kinds of children's book clubs. I had hardback editions of every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book before I started the fifth grade, in addition to many other children's classics.

Some of my greatest childhood memories are tied to books. When I was 9, I had a horrid case of the flu. I was so sick, nothing made me feel better. But my dad went out and bought me a collection called "Stories for Girls, Volume II" (he didn't know of my obsession for reading things in order:-), and my very first Trixie Belden mystery (of course, he bought volume 7! But I loved it so much I forgave him--especially since he got the rest of them for me later on:-).

When I went in for surgery on my foot, I was in college, but my mom and I made a trip to the bookstore and stocked up on Star Trek novels...by then I had met a young man who was into all things "Trek", and...well, you know how it is!!

My dear, sweet husband (no, he's not the "Trekker"...he's the Fifth Beatle!!) has kept up the tradition of celebrating all things celebratable with books, books, and more books! After the birth of our last child, I was having a horrible time. It was a difficult pregnancy, my mother in law had passed away, and I was recovering from a C-section.

Alone at the house one afternoon, I spotted a huge stack of Christian novels...there must have been 14 of them! I was in hog heaven...I curled up in bed as best I could, devouring covers, and back cover blurbs, deciding which one to read first. My hubby called to check on me, and I told him of my find. He groaned and said, "Oh, did I leave those out?" Turns out, that was my Valentine's Day present, found 2 weeks early!

I've been known to use my family as excuses to get books. I'll talk my husband into wanting a book, just so I can devour it. My son is 13, just the perfect age for Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, and **The Door Within** (my bad--put the wrong series title before--my daughter is reading a series called "Forbidden Doors!) series (a Christian fantasy series)...and a mom's gotta read them first, to make sure there isn't anything yicky in them:-)

Just recently I invested in the entire series titled True Colors by Melody Carlson. I read the first one, then passed it on to my 17 year old daughter. At dinner the other night, she eyeballed me and said, "Mom, tell the truth. You're using me to get to these books, aren't you?" My, how she has me pegged!!

So, will I read my entire Fall Reading List Challenge? Probably so. I can knock out a novel in an afternoon if it's good...a couple of days if it's not so good. Is that my entire list? Not hardly...you'd really think I was nuts if I listed them all. But these are the ones I want to finish first...at least, I think so. I may change my mind and rebel and read something not listed! Or get flooded with tour invites and get totally distracted with those great books and forget about my list...

So, from someone who will read the shampoo bottles in the bathroom if, heaven forbid, I forget my book...that's my confession, and I'm stickin' too it! I probably read way too much, but hey, it keeps me off the streets at night:-)

Happy Reading!

Deena

Originally posted 3/13/07; edited for 11/17/07

13 comments:

ohAmanda said...

Trixie Belden?! I didn't know anyone else had read those! My mom had them when she was a kid and gave them to me. Our moms were alike, I guess...my mom had me in book clubs when I was a baby. She read elementary school books to me before I could talk! I'm doing the same with my one year old. I've already read her the Chronicles of Narnia and now we're reading "B is for Betsy"! btw, I saw your shout out on Chocolate Beach's page!

kardel said...

I know what you mean when you say that you were born with a book in your hand. I learned to read when I was about 3 years old. I read the Campbell's soup label to my mother one day at the grocery store. She didn't know I could really read until then. I think I learned how to read from watching Sesame Street.

I love to read and I usually remember everything I read for a long time afterward if it is any good. I get lost in novels (I'm usually sad when I finish a good one) and I devour anything nonfiction that I have and interest in. My problem is that I don't ever want to start a book. Wonder what that says about me?

I have enjoyed reading your book list and some of your book reviews. I get alot of my ideas of books to read by people who review books like you. Thanks, keep it up. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy do I know how you feel! I've been reading since I was about 3 as well and even my nursery school report cards comment on needing to read less and socialize more. What the heck did she know? :-) Reading is a passion that only fellow readers can understand, as you obviously do!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I forgot to ask about the Hidden Door series, I've never heard of it but am very interested and can't seem to find it on Amazon. Could you tell me who the author is?

Mirtika said...

The Door Within series is by Wayne Thomas Batson, and you can see it's site here:
http://www.thedoorwithin.com/

Also good for Y/A readers in the Christian SF area:

The Dragonkeeper Chronicles by Donita K. Paul

The Landon Snow books by Randy Mortenson

The Dragons in our Midst novels by Bryan Davis

And if they're older and good readers, the Guardian King series by Karen Hancock, and The Lamb Among the STars by Chris Walley.

Mir

VillageCafe said...

ROTFLOL... I either didn't *realize* I was doing it, or I was in *denial*... but I've been "using" my family to get books, too! LOL. I bought my son a copy of "ERAGON" recently (for Christmas, actually)... but, really, it was because I wanted to read it! LOL

Oh, man! That's pretty bad! LOL :-P

<>< Mizbooks of Solely Books

Debi said...

Oh, how I loved Trixie Belden as a young girl! Bought my daughter her first three this past Christmas.

Brittanie said...

Deena I feel horrible for those who do not grow up in a home where reading is prized as something valuable. My mother read to my sister and me for as long as I remember. It is one of the things I am most grateful for she did for me as a child.
Brittanie
P.S. For me my favorite books were the Anne of Green Gables series, Babysitter's Club, Mandie, The Secret Garden, Little House on the Prarie Series and more. :)

Ausjenny said...

thanks for the info Deena. I must say i grew up reading too. although i was probably reading below my age level.
I read the peggy books till they almost fell apart. (they were christian teen books) the magic faraway tree i wanted so much to be up in that tree. I loved edin blyton. I remember when i was sick i got one of her books. I still have some of the books i had when younger. I take longer to read a book and i cant use buying it for others as an excuse. but i do get them for birthday and christmas.

Anonymous said...

You know I love to read too, but when I get still and really into a book (no matter how good it is) ...I wake up a few hours later. I get I need to learn how to sit still first. Then after I master that I can read more! :)

Unknown said...

Wow Deena,

Glad to hear I'm not the only one out there who actually reads the bottles on the bathroom shelf or counter when there's nothing else within reach. I did finally start keeping a few books or magazines in there though since the bottles got old after a couple reads LOL!

I also started reading quite young according to my mom. She said they came home one day and the neighbor girls who babysat my brother and I were so excited to tell her that I could read ( I think she said I was about 3 or 4). Of course Mom's first thought was I'd memorized the book as the neighbor girls read to us alot so Mom figured out a test to see for sure and said that I really was reading. By 7 I'd devoured the Little House on the Prairie books probably more than once and was reading Nancy Drew (two volumes of which were early editions that Dad's mom had kept). I also raided the school and public libraries for every scrap of story I coudl get my hands on. For several years I knew one of my Christmas packages was going to be the next Nancy Drew for my collection. Thankfully those who bought me books back then quickly learned that I have a penchant like you do for reading series from the beginning so they made sure to either give me the entire thing at once like Little House or buy them in order.

I still read like the books are going to evaporate into the air but with life's necessities like rent and such I have to work as well which cuts into my reading time more than I'd like for it to.

MizB said...

I can't tell you how jealous I am that your hubby buys you books! I've begged & begged my hubby & family members to just buy me books... but hubby claims I "have too many already" (what's TOO MANY???), and my family members --I believe-- secretly think that, too. Evidence is that they roll their eyes at me when I tell them I got new books! LOL

Ah well. If I have to, I'll just buy them myself! I've gotten my family to give me cash for the past couple of Christmases, so that buys plenty of books -- little did they know they were "buying me books" without even realizing! Bwah ha ha ha ha.... ;-P

MizB

Mark Baker said...

Add me to the list of Trixie Belden fans.